Child Marriage ! ! !

There are three incidents that prompted me to write on this topic. Let me share them with you.
One. I had met a girl, who was about 15. She was in class X. I was asking her, about her future plans. Little tears started running down her face. She told me that her parents had arranged for her marriage. Two. I was in a small village for a festival, my first visit there. I had to find my directions. I went to a guy, who looked 18, carrying a child (maybe 3). I found my direction, thanked him and was about to leave. I heard the child call him 'appa' (Dad). When did he marry??? and what is the age of his wife??? Third. I walk my way to office. On my way,I had seen a girl going to school. Close observation of her, revealed the fact that, she was wearing a 'thali'(a small chain worn by married Hindu women).

I was thinking about the third incident. I really felt sorry for the girl. What all must she be doing in her daily life. Wake up early, prepare food for her family, get ready to school, concentrate in the classes, come back home, do her home works, prepare food again for dinner, and hell lot. What if she has a kid? She plays a lot of rolls in her daily life as a student, a wife, a daughter-in-law, a mother, a cook, and a house-keeper. I am pretty sure, she will be the one saying, "24 hours are not enough". She has to endure all physical hardships and psychological war fares. She will be bullied in her school. She has to sit in the kitchen when kids of her age play. She has to take care of her kid, even when she herself is a kid.

Its simply clear that, He/She will not be physically and mentally fit for marriage at 12. Think of the responsibilities on should have after marriage and the maturity to execute those responsibilities. Its simply unimaginable for a 12 year old kid. As a results of child marriage and the physical hardships and psychological war fares it brings with it, not only the fun in his/her life is lost, but his/her life itself. Its really horrible to be in such a position.

I am 22 and my parents, still treat me as a kid. How does the parents of these children, about the same age as mine, treat their kids otherwise??

Child marriage is a life imprisonment for a mistake they never did. Spread the word in stopping child marriages and help the cause.

Comments

king Sat said…
"still treat me as a kid", neeyae orru kida kuduka pora mathiri irukka

Popular posts from this blog

The ninety-four shades of E.V. Ramasamy "Periyar" Naidu

Forbidden history: V.O. Chidambaram Pillai

Forbidden history: Vanchinathan, the young freedom fighter