Candle Light Dinner !

By now, most of you would be thinking about your last date with your girl friend, sitting in a dark restaurant, in a lonely corner, waiting for things to happen. When they were about to happen, how you ruined all them by spilling your ice cream on her newly made skirt, which she had bought with all love . Then you took her to the wash room, where you opened a jet of water, just to soak her with it. Fully wet now, she would have cursed you and tried to walk away. You would have knelt down to propose, unexpecting a blow on your chin. You spent the whole night crying, only to see her date your peer the next day. Absolute Shit.

Well, Unfortunately, I never had a chance to have such a wonderful candlelight dinner. Well, I am 22. I must have had one. But, not. I had a very different candlelight dinner. I had been once to this village, in the southern tip of India, on my friend's request. Well, He was a boy. The village was not welcoming me. But I had to set foot. Hailing from a town, one day in a village looked close to hell. With no fucking basic amenities (I couldn't even pee that day), with not a trace of entertainment, with no soft looking people, it was like Mars. Totally uninhabitable. With only 200 houses, not to say just 4 shops, it was the smallest civilization (Well, should I call it one?), I have ever seen in my life. With my brand new t-shirt and Jean, with my Walkman phone, which never detected any network, people looked me as if i am a terrorist.

And while roaming in this unimaginable village, I got lost a couple of times and had to enquire some folks out there to find my way back to my friend's house. I knew, they mistook me for a thief or a some kinda kidnapper. They checked me, top to bottom with their eyes and kept following me till i reached home. All kids got scared and hid themselves behind the Saree of their mum. I felt sick and told myself, "Get the shit outta here".

The first thing i did, when I got back home, was to get my things packed. My friend asked me why i was leaving and i told him a bloody lie that an emergency requires my presence in my town the next morning. My friend's mother requested me to stay for dinner. I didn't want disappoint her. So i stayed.

Only, when it did become dark. did I realise that, this was one more village that was dependent on sun and moon for Light. What the hell man? So the dinner was gonna be under candle light. Certainly not the candlelight dinner, i would have wished for. I and my friend sat down on the fucking floor, or well, should i say the Earth. It was damp. The smell of soaked soil suppressed the smell of food, even if it had some smell. At this point of time, my friend told me the only good news i had heard that day. He told me that they generally have afternoon's left-overs for dinner and because i was there, they have prepared fresh food. That did relieve me a bit. Town Instincts and i can't help it.

Food was finally served, on a plate, that wasn't properly washed. WTF? Had it been my house, i would have cried like hell and my mother would be running to clean it. I didn't do that here. I couldn't. They served me boiled food, on that unclean plate. To be frank, it didn't taste that good to this uncompromising tongue. But for the smile of my friend's cousin's daughter(Well, she was two at that time), the whole place looked wretched.

Each time, my friend's mom came close to serve something, i avoided it with a awkward smile. I cursed my friend, for keeping me there, only to taste this stupid food. I screamed within myself. But somehow, i put a smile on my face, finished the meal, and got ready to go. I stepped out of the house, only to find my friend's mother call me from within. She asked me to visit them again soon. I coldly replied OK and walked off.

I was certainly relieved on the thought that, i was leaving to my town, away from this fucking village. Only then did i realize that, I had been a big fool, in fact an ass hole. they had asked me to stay, not to serve that irritating food, but affection. I had been a bigger fool, when they tried to serve more of it. I realized, I can never expect affection from a waiter, when he asks me, "What would you like to have sir?". I can never expect such a warmth from him, nor the care, even when he serves me delicious food on a clean plate. How Idiotic have i been. How stupid have i been by smiling that fake smile. I cursed myself for behaving that bad.

I never visited my friend's house again. I never had a chance to meet his mother either. But I can say you, It was the best candle light dinner i ever had. I remember two things when i speak of this dinner, the Affection and well, the unclean Plate :D

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The ninety-four shades of E.V. Ramasamy "Periyar" Naidu

Forbidden history: V.O. Chidambaram Pillai

Forbidden history: Vanchinathan, the young freedom fighter